My girlfriend and I have about six rules we try our best to follow (more successfully now than before).
- When arguing – no swearing or name calling
- No bringing up old arguments
- Unless we agree to do so
- Tell the other person before we go to bed if we’re angry.
- If we get far apart, we must come back close together (read: make up sex)
- No breaking up over a petty argument. If we break up, it’s serious.
She came up will rule #6 herself after she had a conversation with a co-worker who got into an argument with her boyfriend, broke up with him, cried about it, and got back together with him all in the same hour.
The only rules we’ve had trouble following?
#4 and #5
We tend to get silent when we’re mad and I don’t see her that much because she’s a three hour drive from my university.
She’s been my longest relationship so far and I suspect these rules may have something to do with it.